Wednesday, February 13, 2008

3+ hours stuck in traffic with a screaming child...


Sorry for not updating recently. I haven't had much to report (meaning there have been no major milestones for LJ). I do have some pictures to post though. They will come later.

Anyway, to my worst nightmare turned reality.

So the Philadelphia area had the threat of snow/ice/rain. Whatever. The news people always freak out, calling it "the storm of the century", and it turns out to be a few flurries. This is precisely the reason one particular meteorologist lost his job (::coughJohnBolariscough::). So I went to NJ to visit my parents not even worrying about the weather. LJ was great. He was laughing and happy the whole day. It was about 4pm and it had flurried a little but nothing major. It was do or die time. Either I left and headed home to PA or I stayed and risked the possibility (big emphasis on possibility) of being stuck at my parents house overnight. The latter wouldn't have been so bad either since my parents have a nursery already set up with a crib and everything. 

What do you think I decided to do? Of course, I decided to head home. The roads weren't too bad since it hadn't really snowed or rained. So off I went. I was happily heading down 95 south when things started slowing down due to about 15 accidents in a 2 mile stretch on 95 north. And the whole time I'm thinking, "THANK GOD that's not on THIS side of the highway!" Thinking that was my first mistake! I get past the Walt Whitman Bridge and suddenly come to an abrupt stop. Guess who decides to wake up at this point? That's right...sweet LJ, who up until this point had been sleeping very soundly in his carseat. So I sat, and I sat, and I sat. I sat on that highway for over 3 hours. It took me an hour to move a 1/2 mile. And LJ screamed bloody murder for 3/4 of the time. So while I tried to maneuver the icy roads, detours, and closed bridges I was also leaning into the backseat trying to calm the baby down. 

Finally we were detoured off at Broad Street. I just kept driving. I didn't even know where I was going but as long as I was moving, I really didn't even care. I was thisclose to just saying "fuck it" and renting a room at the Holiday Inn. I had enough formula and a change of clothes for the baby. I totally could have pulled it off. Instead, I pulled into a CVS parking lot and climbed into the backseat with the baby. I got him out of the carseat and tried to console him. Once he was calm I strapped him back in thinking that had at least bought me another hour in the car with him. Yeah...I was wrong. As soon as we pulled out of the parking lot he went bananas again. Right at that moment the hubby called and I lost it. He told me to go to his Aunt Anna's house. I told him I had no clue where I was let alone where her house was in relation to where I was. I pull up to a stop sign...Shunk Street. OH MY GOD! His Aunt lives on Shunk Street. I seriously think God saw the hell I was in and threw me a bone. I was literally one block from their house. Needless to say, I showed up on their doorstep with a screaming child, tears running down my face, and shaking hands from my shot nerves. As soon as his cousin saw me she grabbed the baby and poured me a vodka on the rocks. God, I love his family!

Hubby came and picked us up. We hung out until after 9pm to be sure we wouldn't run into more traffic. Luckily, we didn't (thanks again Big Man)! And the sweetest ending to it all...LJ slept through until 8am the next morning (and so did Mommy)!

I'll end the blog now with some happy images!








No comments: