Monday, October 5, 2009

Thyroid Scan of an 11 month old and yes it was painful....for me.

Does that sound selfish? Probably. Okay, it does. She was the one who had to endure the NG tube being shoved up her nose and then down her throat. And she's the one who had to endure the radioactive material being injected into her little belly. Then she had to wait 2 hours while the radioactive crap made it's way throughout her system. She's also the one that had to be swaddled and taped down to the table of an enormous machine. Oh and she had to lay on said table for two hours without moving while Gigantor took up residence mere inches from her throat to take pictures of her thyroid.

And we won't even discuss the panic attacks I was having as I imagined this machine breaking and falling on my poor baby girl. Ugh. Intrusive thoughts, much?!

All that being said, it was super painful for me. I hated watched the nurses literally lay on top of her to restrain her for the insertion of the NG tube. She looked at me like I had betrayed her. After that part was done I made sure to whisper in her ear that I would key the cars of those nasty nurses that had done that too her. She was happy with that and fell asleep on my chest. 

(yikes...Mama's looking a little rough...)

Luckily she didn't nap for long. No, you didn't read that wrong. It actually was a blessing in disguise. By the time the actual testing started she was so exhausted. She screamed her little head off while me, Big Poppa and the nuclear medicine tech swaddled and taped her to the table. She eventually fell asleep with her Daddy rubbing her head and singing in her ear (have I ever mentioned how amazing Big Poppa is?). She slept for the entire thing which was so nice and quiet. I haven't had that much quiet in months and I loved it! I loved it so much that I fell asleep right there next to her in the chair. I'm talking head all the way back and mouth wide open. The kind of sleep position that you get when you fall asleep in the car. Only when you're in the car you drive past hundreds of people looking like a total tool. This time only the nuclear medicine tech was lucky enough to see my drooling, snoring hotness. 


But at least step 1 is over. Results came back and they are all good. She's been diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism and will be on a low dose of Synthroid until she is 3. At that point they'll re-test to see if she's outgrown the condition. Unfortunately, this is not what is causing the failure to thrive and lack of weight gain. 

Onto step 2...endoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy this Friday. Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

bopbopdesigns said...

You are one brave Mama and she's one brave baby girl! Hope you keep finding out more news and that it is all manageable! Been thinking of you!!!

Katherine said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you. That must have been so hard. I have tears just reading about it.

Unknown said...

wow amy...hang in there dude.

this shit is so hard when it deals with your babies.

glad to hear they are on top of it, though.

will check back with you soon:)

happy thoughts and all that shit.

andrea

Diana Lesjak said...

Bless her little heart... yours and your big poppa's too! What a day. So traumatic and exhausting, on top of being scary for little Avery. Wow, there is nothing sweeter than a daddy singing to his baby, is there? Good luck to all of you on Friday. Fingers are crossed and prayers being said for your little family Amy!

Stephanie Piontkowski said...

Oh Amy - I'm so sorry - seeing your child in the hospital for any reason is heartbreaking and scary as hell.

((HUGS)) for you, Big Poppa and most of all Avie Baby.

QueenBee said...

Prayers and blessings. When she comes out of this, she will be even stronger. We must endure some things in order to get to the peak of the mountain. Stay strong.

Unknown said...

I can not believe they did not sedate that baby!!!

I hope things get better real soon!