This past weekend we started the moving process and it sucked. Big donkey balls. It was humid and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. But we did it. Stage 2 of the big move is happening this weekend and then we close on Tuesday. I just want to be done already. I'm over it as I'm sure you all are as well. Especially the bitching. I'm sure you're all sick of that.
Luca had his tubes surgery on Tuesday. It went really well and the doctor said that he definitely needed them. He had a ton of mucus in his sinuses that she sucked out. Woot for not having to deal with a lingering cold in a temper tantrum fueled toddler! Although he still has a nasty cough. Hopefully we'll see a drastic improvement in him and it comes just in time for winter!
I also got a phone call from Avery's GI about her blood work results right in the middle of getting Luca ready for surgery (awesome timing, right?). I had been trying to call all week but they weren't returning my calls. I called again on Friday and asked that I get a phone call back that day since it was the holiday weekend. By 1:30pm I hadn't heard from anyone so what did I do?
I called.
And called again.
And called yet again.
You get the picture here.
Only to discover that the office was already closed for the weekend. Fucking a!
So then what did I do? That's right...I did what any psychotic, caffeine crazed caring, concerned and loving mother would have done. I flipped the fuck out. I talked to nurses and information people. And I must give kudos to the hospital. They handled me quite well even if it did get me nowhere.
And what did I do when I realized that I got nowhere? I hit a new low.
I googled the doctors name, found her email address and emailed her. BUT, I waited until the next morning because if I hadn't, that email would have been laced with expletives. And I'm sure that would really get me nowhere.
Anyway, I finally heard back. Let me also say that I am an eternal pessimist. I just am. It's me. Love it or leave it. My glass is usually half empty, the sky is falling and armageddon is right around the corner (ok, so that last one was a bit of an exaggeration). BUT, in this situation, I decided to turn a new leaf. Weird timing, I know. But hey, new home new attitude, right? Uh, not so much.
The doctor says that her blood work had some abnormalities. God damnit. See? That's what I get for being optimistic. I had totally convinced myself that all would come back negative and that we could just chalk her FTT up to a milk/soy allergy. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Her thyroid is elevated. Like whoa. It's over 8.0. Normal range is .5 to 5.0. Whoa, right? So it's looking like hypothyroidism. Also, her Celiac panel came back within the normal range but still on the low side. Here's the thing about the Celiac panel though. It only tests for the RISK of Celiac Disease. It doesn't actually confirm a diagnosis. You can have a negative CD blood panel but still have it. The only thing that confirms it is an endoscopy. From everything that I've researched (since I do have my Ph.D. in google) hypothyroid and Celiac Disease go hand in hand in babies when symptoms begin at 6 months. Hello, fitting diagnosis for Avery! Nice to FINALLY meet you!
I didn't get a chance to talk to the GI very much because I was getting Luke prepped for surgery. She said she would call me back within the next day or two to discuss things some more. It's been two days now and I haven't heard back yet.
So you all know what that means right? Hehe.
(and ps - that's an evil "hehe." Not a giggly, fun, peppy "hehe." Just wanted to clarify.)


2 comments:
Oh Amy... You did just what I would have done. That office should have let the doctor know you were not reached... especially with results concerning a baby. Don't these people have children? How would they like to be treated that way? Once an effort is made to contact someone - it should be followed through. Yo make me laugh with you Ph.D in google! You go girl! Don't stop till you have all the answers~ I have my faith in your tenacity ~ you will win this battle for Avery! Good luck!
good for you and your perseverance!
i fucking hate it when doctors place your life or your kids' lives at such a low priority just because they have a heavy workload...that isn't your fault.
with that said, you are very lucky to have found out at this stage and save your baby a lot of discomfort and illness with the celiac and hypothyroidism. it will be a lifestyle adjustment (if they confirm the celiac) but after the initial clusterfuck it becomes second nature when preparing and eating meals.
what drama!
hope your new house is made of awesome. i'm SO jealous.
andy
Post a Comment