Monday, January 25, 2010

I chose to be a Mom.

If you remember, one of my New Years Resolutions was to quit the SAHM gig. We're in a place where I can go back to work full time and have child care handled. And the extra money right now would be so helpful.

One problem.

I've been out of work since May 2008. That's almost two years. And last time I checked, employers don't really find that desirable. Especially in a market where they are getting no less that 75 application submissions.

I've applied for 30 million jobs (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) and I haven't gotten a single interview. I'm no fool though. I know the reason.

I chose to be a Mom.

By choosing to be a Mom, I pretty much took myself out of the race. As mad/sad as I am over it, I can't say I blame the employers for tossing my resume to the side. If they have to choose between someone who has been working up until the present and me...well, the choice appears clear.

But it doesn't make it suck any less for me.

Once upon a time I was confident and awesome at what I did. I kicked ass in my field. People knew me and respected my professional opinion. I'm not saying I was the shit. But I was good. And I know that I still have it.

But I chose to be a Mom.

So I continue to check the job postings every day and apply as new ones pop up. I can only hope that someone will take the chance to interview me and see just how strong of an employee I am. I'm patient, organized and dedicated. I have excellent communication skills and plenty of energy.

Because I'm a Mom.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Have you tried creating functional resume? It emphasizes your skills and detracts from your employers, which detracts from how long you've been away.

With all the things that moms have to do, it really sucks that none of it is looked at as good skills for the job! We all know better, though!

Diana Lesjak said...

Love this post!! You will get something Amy. Patience. Enjoy those babies till it happens! What was your field? Curious to know...

Kate R said...

Excellent post, so very true!

QueenBee said...

Let me just say this, keep putting in applications no matter what. I was a SAHM for about five years and then went back to work. I think I put in like 850,000 applications (ok maybe a few hundred thousand less) but eventually something did come up, but you gotta have patience.