Friday, May 8, 2009

I was never a fan of the movie Whitefang...

...but I probably should be since my son could take the starring role.

Yesterday we were dancing to Mickey Mouse's "hot dog dance" when he started pulling away from me. I couldn't hold onto him any longer so I let go thinking he would fall into the couch which was right behind him. At the last minute he turned his body and crossed his feet all funky and fell, face first, into Avery's bouncy seat. And of course the first thing that hits is his big ass mouth. And to make the story even better, he fell directly into one of the three plastic pieces on the whole damn seat! What the hell are the odds?

So he's bleeding and looks up at me and I instantly see, or should I say, don't see his front tooth. He's screaming and I'm searching for tooth fragment whilst getting covered in blood. In the midst of a ear piercing scream I see the tooth on his tongue. I grabbed it and put it in milk because that's what my mom told me to do. Christ if I knew what to do in that situation.

I finally got in touch with the pediatrician who referred me to a pediatric dentist who told me to come over immediately. Oh and did I mention that this all happened right before nap time for both kids? Yeah, I must have left that part out. Like breaking off a tooth isn't bad enough, I had two children under 20 months old in my car during the beginning of rush hour with NO nap in them. Fucking awesome. I would have rather swallowed broken glass.

We get to the pedi dentist and they had to shave the tooth down because it was so sharp from the break. Technical diagnosis is a crown fracture of his front tooth. My poor little hillbilly. They said that since he won't lose this tooth for another 4 or so years that we can have it bonded (purely for cosmetic reasons) but they'd have to sedate him. I'm torn about what to do on that front. It seems so unnecessary but I also love his little gap toothed baby smile. 

Now every time my little hellion falls down (and that happens quite frequently) I have a minor stroke. I swear he'll be completely toothless by 2 years of age which is only 3 months away! My kid is the one who puts a blanket over his head and runs straight into the dishwasher because it's funny. I have to admit, that was funny. But not anymore! I think I might buy super absorbency pads and stick them all over him so that whenever he falls, it's like a little fresh scented cushion. He won't be made fun of too bad, will he?

This is the best picture I could get. Obviously, he's supposed to have two front teeth but in this picture he only has one front tooth and a little speck that is the corner of his other tooth. 




7 comments:

MammaDucky said...

Seriously, I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you. Dude, that was a friggen hilarious rendition of a crappy situation.
Poor little fella. We should probably NEVER let our two boys hang out together...like EVER. Mouth injuries seem to be a favorite among my children (see our latest issue with needing surgery to repair a busted lip). Ah, motherhood, ain't it great.

Unknown said...

Lordy, ya'll sound like my house.
Mouth injuries bled like CRAAAZY.

Sassy had to be put to sleep for some major dental work when she was around 2 1/2. Good times.

Sherrie said...

Oh.my.stars. Poor baby. Those falls are always the scariest, aren't they? I don't know what I'd do if I were you...sedation is always so scary. He's cute regardless. :) Here's to hoping he loses that clumsiness soon. Now, my little guy is notoriously clumsy, too. But -- his falls just result in tons of bruises. I swear...sometimes I worry what people think. :)

The Rambler said...

I'm curious.

Why milk? I'm fascinated.

Poor guy.

Poor Mama.

I'll have a shot for you. :)

Sapphire said...

Awwww......at least he's still a cutie.
That was a really horrible situation.
Here you are trying to do the good mommy thing and actually play with the little monsters and this is how karma repays you? A chipped tooth and an emergency trip to a pediatric dentist with two screaming kids right before nap?!?!? Not cool!

Kelly said...

Is this what I'm in for as a mother of a boy? Hold me. I don't think I can handle that.

Amy said...

Rambler - hells if I know why I put the tooth in milk. It's just my mom told me to do so I did it. But the pedi dentist said it was the right thing to do. They said that it wasn't necessary in our situation but that when a permanent tooth breaks off/falls out, that if you put it in milk they can still salvage it and put it back in your mouth. Maybe something about the calcium in the milk?